Insides from the social media professional about hashtag strategy and usage
Sprinkle a few hashtags in the post or in the post description as well as in the story and image description and the reach, followers, customers and buyers of a provider or a company grow by itself? Not even close! Those who tend to tag their posts randomly at their own discretion and / or inflationary use of the hash symbols and their keywords that thematically locate a post are wasting enormous potential. Hashtags are carefully considered, used in a targeted, well-dosed and in the right place. It is important therefore, the correct answer the questions of how and where the account holder or maintainers hashtags properly use and which and how many hashtags to use each (maximum) are AND obeying the answers.
To ensure that our valued readers are able to find suitable double-cross keyword combinations for the various social networks at any time – even if they are torn out of the middle of the Instagram dream of success at night, we have our comments on hashtag research taken care of. We have launched the second part of our helpful hashtag special so that the results that can be reliably generated in this way are also used correctly, sensibly and effectively. Of course, we want you to participate in our experience again and be useful for your social media strategy.
If you want to avoid having to track down and place the hashtags as well as post optimization and advertising at all, ROCKIT-INTERNET is also happy to offer support with Facebook and Instagram marketing as well as Twitter marketing and LinkedIn marketing .
The basic hashtag rules
Whether it is the original platform of the hashtag, the blue short message portal with the little bird, or the portal with the sunset-colored Polaroid cam outline, where the hash mark is undoubtedly the most important – these provisions must not be followed Failure can lead to the same in all networks:
- Hashtags must contain letters and can contain numbers and emojis.
- Hashtags can only contain letters, but not only numbers; Digit-loving hashtag creators should add at least one letter.
- Hashtags cannot contain spaces or special characters. Underscores that belong to the text lines therefore work.
- Hashtags can be of any length, i.e. contain any number of characters – but should be kept short and concise for better readability and to avoid errors. For orientation: In English-speaking countries, the rule of thumb is not to use more than 14 characters.
- Hashtags can be completely lower case, but they also work with upper and lower case. Tip: Starting every new word with a capital letter # promotes readability.
The dos and don’ts for a clever hashtag strategy
The right selection of a hashtag is just as essential for providers and companies as the art of correctly spelling and, above all, using the hash mark attached to it correctly. Only social media drivers who use the double cross well will be rewarded with positive effects. When there are:
- less bot activities on the business account,
- increased interactions (likes, comments, shares),
- increased range,
- better brand awareness,
- higher identification with the brand or with the product,
- more leads and sales.
And how does it work or how do you achieve that? By taking the following recommendations to heart.
Hashtag quality and hashtag mix
Generic tags like #love, #life and #fashion have already been used millions of times and are (therefore) particularly popular, which is also reflected in a high search volume. As a result, users continue to use them often and extensively. Generic hashtags thus bring results, but in most cases have too little to do with the topic to be served. There is also the problem of the short half-life or strong competition. Because many use these keywords, their own new posts are pushed out of the search results by other posts after just a few seconds – mostly never to be seen again.
With specific hashtags that are relevant to the industry and company as well as target group and more descriptive search phrases – also with a lower search volume and thus less competition – it is better to address the right audience, to evoke their engagement and to build a constant relationship with followers and customers. It is important – especially if few hashtags are available – on the one hand to avoid tags that are difficult to en vogue and on the other hand to avoid tags that nobody knows. If multiple hashtags are allowed, as is the case with Instagram, the right mix is crucial. Here, aspiring hash mark experts should use a few broad-reaching keywords, but mostly precise niche tags.
Extra: Different hashtag strategies for Instagram
Various Instagram observers are of the opinion that it is precisely this right mix of popular and small hashtags that makes the tagged posts more visible. The 10-10-10 method is seen as one of the “effective hashtag strategies” . Here, the 30 tags that can be used on Insta (on the question of how many hashtags you should actually use on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, we come to the following):
- 10 smaller hashtags with around 10,000 to 50,000 posts
- 10 medium-sized hashtags with around 50,000 to 200,000 posts
- 10 larger hashtags with around 200,000 to 2,000,000 posts
Another variant is the cascading method . The division should therefore look like this:
- 2 to 5 hashtags with a number of posts between 5,000 and 50,000
- 2 to 5 hashtags with a number of posts between 50,000 and 200,000
- 2 to 5 hashtags with a number of posts between 200,000 and 500,000
- 2 to 5 hashtags with a number of posts between 500,000 and 1,000,000
- 5 to 10 hashtags that fit the respective post and embody the brand
The followers of the respective strategy promise that the algorithm will recognize and reward the hashtag mix associated with the right content. After all, the chance that a post published under a smaller hashtag will be ranked up due to the lower competition is higher. And to land in the top places in a medium-sized topic with your own post is also more likely and fuels commitment.
So: just try it out!